My Pops is a pretty special guy. Growing up, he was a pretty strict dad. My curfew was never late than 9pm - EVER. He always expected top grades from us - ALWAYS. We were involved in multiple sports, choir, band and youth group. But we were never over-programmed. We learned the value of hard work. He had VERY STRICT rules about dating (Funny story - I wasn't allowed to drive alone with a boy when I was 16, so on my first "date" the boy had to bring a friend. Now let's think about this - is it safer for me to ride in a car with one boy, or two? We probably should've rethought that idea!) But with all these rules and high expectations I knew my poppa loved me. There's nothing more that a daughter wants than her poppa's love and approval. And it's crazy that at 30 years old the best thing in the world is getting a hug from my pops and hearing "I love you daughter."
Me and my pops - we're a lot alike. My mom likes to say, "Like father, like daughter."
|Mother's Day Weekend - 2011|
- We're both kinda stubborn, but we'll deny it if you ask us
- We both like to "putter" in the workshop. I remember my dad always being out in the garage doing something, although we didn't always know what. And today I'm the same way. I love to sweep out the garage, organize, clean the work bench, and use the power tools to make things for my home.
- We both like to garden - although my dad is much better at it than I am. You should have seen their yard at their old house in Nebraska - flowers and flowers galore! Now he's doing flowers and blueberries and other fun stuff with my mom's help.
- Watching golf on TV puts us to sleep - but for two different reasons
- We love to eat good food - but when in doubt, a bowl of cereal always hits the spot
- Neither of us likes to shop, but we love a good garage sale
- We aren't big fans of talking on the phone - I know, I'm a girl therefore I should love talking on the phone, but I don't.
- We both love hammocks (this is genetic, I'm sure of it!)
|Apparently in high school we liked to dress alike, too!|
|My brother's wedding - December 2010|
|Cheering for the Huskers - Thanksgiving 2008|
|Cost Rica - December 2010|
Little known fact: My dad was a model back in the day. He modeled for a clothing store and had ads in the local newspaper. Mister Suave! That's my pops!
Happy Poppa's Day!