11.01.2010

Whatcha been reading lately?

Have you ever noticed what a big waste of time and energy the TV is? Yeah, maybe you already noticed that. I've found myself reading a lot more recently - for which I am grateful, as I feel it is a much better use of my time! However, I'm having a hard time finding "good reads."

My sister-in-law recently told me that I had to read this book - The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.
So apparently it's a New York Times bestseller - and I have NO IDEA WHY. Especially since it's a YOUNG ADULTS book! I was warned by the SIL that it was a little different, but she told me it was a must-read. After the first three chapters I was almost in tears (I'm a very sensitive reader) and texted her about my concern. She basically confirmed that this was just how the book was and that no, it didn't get any better, but that I still had to read it. And against my better judgement, I did end up finishing the book. But it's the first in a series! Ugh, so now I have to determine if I want to continue with the 2nd and 3rd books. If you've heard about this series then you know what I'm talking about. If not, well, proceed with caution.

Next up on my list was The Shack by William P. Young.

A friend of mine had raved about it. My SIL - whom I'm starting to question her judgement on reading - said it was "meh." But, I had nothing else to read at the moment so I jumped in. And this is what I will say - it was good. I think it is a great book for people who have a disillusioned idea about Christianity. Having grown up in the church (Sundays, Wednesdays and every day of the week at a Christina school) it was a good read. It aligned with my personal beliefs on a relationship with God, and I hope that it paints a new and refreshing picture of "a relationship with God" for those who have a distaste for anything "Christian."

And then I picked up a few books from Sam's Club out of desperation. First up was The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
My mother-in-law actually mentioned this book to me after I had already purchased it. After the first 2-3 chapters though I had to put it aside. I'm a super sensitive reader, and my running partner had recently put her 15 year old dog down, and the book about a family - told from the dog's perspective - was just a little too close to home at the time. I just finished it however, and cried uncontrollably through the last two chapters. Ironically, our 5 year old boxer was in bed with me while I was crying and came up to comfort me. She looked at me with these eyes that said, "I know. I know exactly what you are thinking and feeling." And since then I swear, she communicates more like a person than ever.

And this weekend I picked up The Help by Kathryn Stockett.
I'm only about 6 chapters in, but already I'm loving it!

And that's what I've been reading lately - and I welcome any and all recommendations - unless it's gonna make me cry!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

hey! I love love love The Art of Racing in the Rain. It's a bit emotional in the beginning but I love how it's written from a dog's perspective. It makes me wonder what story my dog would write about me. ha.

I'm reading the Girls from Ames.. I'm about half way through and it's pretty good so far. It's a story about a 40-yr friendship of girls from a small town in Iowa. If you want to borrow it next, let me know.

http://www.girlsfromames.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails