11.18.2010

A Late Life Goal

Music has always been a very important piece of my life. As far back as I can remember, I was a musically-inclined kid. I was in every musical production at church and I was never shy about singing in front of others. My freshman year of high school I earned a spot on the select singing choir, Image. We led chapel worship, performed at school events and concerts, and even did performances throughout our community as well as an annual tour that took us to Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City and St. Louis.

While neither of my parents were into the performing arts, my mom frequently had a CD playing while she made dinner, cleaned the house, or sat on the back porch. Especially during the holiday season I can always remember Mannheim Steamroller or other holiday music blasting from the kitchen while we made cookies or prepared a meal. And I'm the same way today. Our iPod dock lives on the kitchen counter where I can switch it on when I walk in the door. I love having music playing while I fold laundry, mop the floors or play around in the kitchen.

One of my best friends in high school was also in the select choir, and she played the piano beautifully. I have fond memories of her sitting at the piano magically making beautiful music from those black and white keys while I sang along. I miss that. Our little jam session - or as our other friend called our opportunities for "harmonization." When we did a girls reunion a few years ago we couldn't help but have Sarah play her baby grand piano while Abbey and I sang along.


The piano player and I at Junior Formal...
And then a few years ago




I've always admired those who can play the acoustic guitar. In fact, I'd call it straight jealousy. So now that I'm 30, I'd really like to learn to play the guitar. Only problem is, I want to play it NOW. The learning process is slightly intimidating. I want to be like Sarah - I want to sit down with my instrument and play beautiful music. But I can learn something so intricate this late in life?

How about you? Do you have a life goal/accomplishment that you want to fulfill?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails