5.12.2010

Circadian what?


I used to be a morning person. For a really long time actually. All through college I had a great job as a barista at a family owned coffee shop. I worked the morning shifts 5 days a week and LOVED it. I loved knowing that I was up and productive before most people had opened their eyes. I always had plenty of energy and mornings are so peaceful and refreshing!

Even within the last 3-4 years I would still get up early to get my workout in before heading to work for 8 hours. Crazy, right! Who goes to the gym at 5:45 am?! I did. And it never bothered me..until it didn't happen like that anymore.

Something happened a few years ago and I'm no longer a morning person. I don't know how or exactly when it all changed. But I wish it hadn't. Now I can't get out of bed before 7:30 am and it takes me a good 2-3 hours to really get going in the mornings. It's like my brain won't function until close to 10 am - even coffee doesn't help!

And I feel lethargic most days and when I get home from my short day at work all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a book and rest. As if I'm so worn out from my day sitting at a computer!

This morning I woke up around 5 am - not sure if it was the dogs moving around or what, but I just woke up. And I remember being VERY alert. Almost bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. The thought crossed my mind to just stay up and take advantage of this odd feeling - but what would I do? I can't go into work that early. I couldn't do much around the house without waking up Seth. So I went back to bed.

And when my alarm went off at 7 am, I just couldn't find the motivation to get out of bed - so I hit snooze until 7:30 am.

So strange....I wonder if I can "fix" my circadian clock - cuz it seems to be a bit off right now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails