4.27.2009

Did you hear that?

Do you ever have that sense that God is calling your name? That strange feeling inside like someone is listening to your thoughts, or anticipating your next move? I think He speaks to us more often that we care to admit - or take notice of. I can think of several recent incidences where that "strange feeling" was probably God trying to nudge me just a little bit. Last week in line at the grocery store when I looked severely pained by the annoying child in front of me. Or on the light rail where an elderly woman seemed lost and yet I was too tired from work to offer her a smile or reassurance. Or how about the friend that I haven't seen in a long time that reached out to me but I failed to respond to. Yikes - makes me seem like a selfish and unkind person, doesn't it? But it is also me being unresponsive to God's little nudges. 

For several weeks I've been feeling His nudge that I need to find a new church home - since we are now about an hour and a half away from our church. So Sunday morning I took a step forward with the nudge. I looked up a church that I had heard about and been interested in - and sure enough, if I hustled I could make it to the last service. And without really thinking, I followed the nudge and I went. 

Throughout the mornings worship and service I could feel God's presence - His hand on my heart. It was like that morning was meant for me - not only did I get a front row parking spot (a great accomplishment considering the size of the church!) but every song, every friendly smile, prayer and the message just spoke to me. I was meant to be there - that Sunday, in that moment. God was calling my name - clearly and distinctly. He called - and for once I started to open my ears and listen. 

There were no fireworks and flowers did not rain down from heaven - but something definitely happened. God spoke - and I was open enough to hear Him and take that first small step towards His voice. And sometimes that all He asks - just that we take that small step towards Him when he calls. To forget about the rest of the world that is swirling around us causing us to loose sight of what's real and important. To listen when you hear Him call. And to take that small step. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails